I don’t know about you, but the number of times I’ve seen 3AM on my clock over last 20 years, has been insane. I’m well familiar with the dreaded insomnia, and for me, I believe it is the result of stress and an overactive mind. 3AM is NOT my friend!
Regular meditation is said to be great for insomnia, in that it helps to calm you down and focus you on your breath. I have certainly tried this over the years. I’ve also tried going to sleep with guided visualisations from the likes of Doreen Virtue or Louise Hay, or hypnosis visualisations from Dr Rick Collingwood – or playing them if I wake up at 3AM.
One of the things I’ve been experimenting with for the last six months, is using crystals in and around my bed, and they really seem to be making a difference in the quality of my sleep. I now have a beautiful amethyst cluster sitting on one of my bedside tables, and I’ve experimented with putting crystals like Lapis Lazuli, Ruby in Fuchsite and Lepidolite under my pillow. Along with the amethyst, Ruby in Fuchsite seems to have the most benefit for me under my pillow.
I’ve done some research into the best crystals for insomnia, and in this post I talk about different kinds of sleep disruptions and the best crystals to help you overcome them.
Crystals to help overcome insomnia generally
These crystals can be placed at the head or foot of the bed.
- Amethyst is extremely beneficial to the mind, coming or stimulating as appropriate. Mentally it calms and synthesises, and aids the transmission of neural signal through the brain. It is helpful where insomnia is caused by an overactive mind, and protects against recurrent nightmares.
- Celestite imparts gentle strength and enormous inner peace despite urging towards greater openness to new experiences. Mentally, celestite calms and sharpens the mind, disbursing worries and promoting mental clarity. It is an excellent healing stone, dissolving pain and bringing in love.
- Charoite bestows deep sleep with powerful dreams, overcomes insomnia, and gives children calm sleep. This stone also opens and balances the crown chakra. It can bring insightful visions of past lives and suggests ways to redress karma on a personal and collective level.
- Hematite is particularly effective at grounding and protecting. It harmonises mind, body and spirit. It is also known to assist with insomnia, as it brings the mind’s attention to basic survival needs and helps to sort out problems of all kinds.
- Lapis Lazuli quickly releases stress, bringing deep peace and serenity. It enhances dream work and psychic abilities, facilitating spiritual journeying. It also stimulates personal and spiritual power.
- Lepidolite is extremely useful in the reduction of stress and depression. It eases obsessive thoughts, relieves despondency, and overcomes insomnia. As a stone of transition, it releases and re-organises old psychological and behavioural patterns, inducing change.
- Sodalite eliminates mental confusion. It calms the mind, allowing new information to be received.
Crystals to help with insomnia caused by electromagnetic stress or nightmares
These crystals can be placed around the bed, or around the four corners of the bedroom or house, depending how strong the electromagnetic stress is.
- Black tourmaline protects against cell phone, electromagnetic smog, radiation and all kinds of negative energies. Also protects against negative energies and ground fear into the earth.
- Smoky quartz protects against geopathic stress, absorbs electromagnetic smog and brings in a positive vibration to fill the spaces. Psychologically, smoky quartz relieves fear, lifts depression and brings emotional calmness. This crystal alleviates nightmares and manifest your dreams. When it comes into contact with negative emotions, it generally dissolves them.
Crystals to help with insomnia from an overactive mind
These crystals can be placed on the third eye chakra between your eye brows, or under your pillow.
- Amethyst – see description above.
- Like white selenite, blue selenite has a very fine vibration and brings clarity of mind, opening the crown and higher crown chakras. When placed on the third eye, blue selenite quietens the intellect, facilitates shutting off mind chatter, and quickly reveals the core of the problem.
- Yellow labradorite accesses the highest levels of consciousness, enhances visualisation, trance and clairvoyance.
Crystals to help with insomnia from over eating
These crystals can be placed over your solar plexus chakra (over your belly), or under the bed and under your solar plexus area.
- Moonstone calms overreactions to situations and to emotional triggers. It soothes emotional instability and stress, and stabilises the emotions. A moonstone elixir was traditionally used for insomnia and the stone can prevent sleepwalking.
- Pyrite relieves anxiety and frustration, and boosts self-worth and confidence. It aids sleep disturbed by gastric upset, by strengthening the digestive tract and neutralising ingested toxins.
Crystals to help with insomnia related to stress
- Amethyst – see description above.
- Chrysoprase – has a strong detoxifying action, can mobilise heavy metals out of the body, and it stimulates liver function. It is excellent for relaxation and peaceful sleep. It also reduces claustrophobia and nightmares.
- Rose Quartz – is the stone of unconditional love and infinite peace. It is a fine healing stone, releasing unexpressed emotions and heartache, and transmuting emotional conditioning that no longer serves.
Do you use crystals to help with insomnia? Feel free to share in the comments, what has worked for you. 🔮😴
Information about crystals sourced from Judy Hall’s books The Crystal Bible and Crystal Prescriptions Volume 1.
Interested in using the highest quality essential oils to enhance your sleep?
When combined with crystals, essential oils can be one of your biggest allies in the quest for better, more restful sleep. doTERRA has created this beautiful Bedtime Bliss wellness box, which contains my personal favourite oils for helping with sleep! Read more about this special Bedtime Bliss Wellness Box here. We chat about many uses for essential oils and crystals in my private SOS Oil Lovers group (for those people who sign up to doTERRA with me), and I’d love to share with you!